TALISON TAILINGS RETREATMENT PROJECT (TRP)
Mondium carried out all works on this Greenfields site as the EPC contractor, including all engineering, procurement, management of sub-contractors, construction and wet commissioning.
The Greenbushes Tailings Retreatment Plant was designed to take reclaimed tailings from an existing tailings storage facility (TSF 1) and upgrade the contained lithium content to produce a saleable lithium concentrate (spodumene) and a barren tail. Initial feed preparation occurred adjacent to the ROM pad located in close proximity to TSF1. Recovered tailings were scrubbed and screened and the resulting slurry pumped 300 m to the treatment plant, where the tailings undertook a series of magnetic separation, classification, flotation and filtration processes. The resulting product was stockpiled at the Western side of the site. The plant was laid out on four sealed terraces in an east – west direction with the Eastern side being at the lowest level.
The overall project duration was 24 months split into 12 months of engineering and design and 12 months of construction and commissioning. Construction commenced mid November 2019 and concluded in January 2022 which including a period of suspension.
Scope of work:
Mondium will carry out all works as EPC contractor, including all engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning.
The Greenbushes Tailings Retreatment process plant consists of a mineral processing concentrator with associated services and ancillaries.
The process facilities include:
- Feed preparation
- Attritioning and deslime
- Magnetic separation
- Dewatering and filtration
- Concentrate stockpiling
- Tailings disposal
- Reagents and services
Mondium’s scope included the design, construction and commissioning of all infrastructure:
- Power supply tapped from 22 kV underground power line
- Plant buildings including offices, ablutions, control room and workshop
- A standalone sewage treatment facility
- A sealed area around the process plant to facilitate run off to the drive-in sump and a settlement pond
Highlights and achievements:
- The Project was completed a month ahead of schedule in a tight labour market
- The Project finished under budget through a period of supply constraints
- The Project achieved all safety targets including zero LTIs