TALISON TAILINGS RETREATMENT PROJECT (TRP)
Mondium Pty Ltd is acting on behalf of Talison Lithium Australia Pty Ltd for the Tailings Retreatment Project (TRP), located in Greenbushes Western Australia. Mondium will carry out all works on this Greenfields site as the EPC contractor, including all engineering, procurement and management of sub-contractors associated with site execution.
The Greenbushes Tailings Retreatment Plant has been designed to take reclaimed tailings from an existing tailings storage facility (TSF 1) and upgrade the contained lithium content to produce a saleable lithium concentrate and a barren tail. Initial feed preparation will occur adjacent to the ROM pad located in close proximity to TSF1. Recovered tailings will be scrubbed and screened and the resulting slurry pumped 300 m to the treatment plant, where the tailings will undergo a series of magnetic separation, classification, flotation and filtration processes. The resulting product will then be stockpiled at the Western side of the site. The plant has been laid out on four sealed terraces in an east – west direction with the Eastern side being at the lowest level.
The overall project duration is 24 months split into 12 months of engineering and design and 12 months of construction and commissioning. Construction commenced mid November 2019 and is scheduled to conclude late 2020 with commissioning.
Scope of work:
Mondium will carry out all works as EPC contractor, including all engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning.
The Greenbushes Tailings Retreatment process plant consists of a mineral processing concentrator with associated services and ancillaries.
The process facilities include:
- Feed preparation
- Attritioning and deslime
- Magnetic separation
- Dewatering and filtration
- Concentrate stockpiling
- Tailings disposal
- Reagents and services
Mondium’s scope includes the design, construction and commissioning of all infrastructure:
- Power supply tapped from 22 kV underground power line
- Plant buildings including offices, ablutions, control room and workshop
- A standalone sewage treatment facility
- A sealed area around the process plant to facilitate run off to the drive-in sump and a settlement pond
Highlights and achievements:
- Construction commenced on site mid November 2019
- Engineering and Design is complete with minor design activities concluded by the end of 2019
- Procurement is well underway with all major procured equipment either delivered or scheduled to be delivered within the next 3 months
- Bulk of structural steel and plate work is currently in fabrication with deliveries scheduled for the first quarter of 2019
- Carbon Steel piping fabrication commenced